New Year, New Start

After a month or more of abstaining from blogging I am renewing my efforts as we enter a new calendar year.

Why have I not been posting, you ask?

Not for lack of things to say, certainly. But I have felt the need to censor myself and purge this blog from the political rants and raves that characterized it much of the time over this past year. In coming days I plan to continue to share perspectives and thoughts about many topics, but I hope to do so with less rancor and (hopefully) with greater wisdom.

To begin this new 2010 edition of Blog 222 I want to quote a poem by Wendell Barry. It comes from a volume of his poems that I received from my daughter Kate as a Christmas gift (thanks Kate!). It is entitled "A Warning to my Readers." I think it applies here.

Do not think me gentle
because I speak in praise
of gentleness, or elegant
because I honor the grace
that keeps this world. I am
a man crude as any,
gross of speech, intolerant,
stubborn, angry, full
of fits and furies. That I
may have spoken well
at times, is not natural.
A wonder is what it is.
Happy New Year!!

5 comments:

starwish6 said...

I think that I will miss the politcal rants and raves; but I always welcome wisdom, especially from one so wise.

katherine said...

the poem (and poet) is perfect for you. glad you liked it.

Cathy said...

I am glad :)

kimberly said...

Glad you are staying shy of the political rants. To be honest, your posts that haven't been about politics have been enjoyable to read. Glad you're sticking to the better path.

Max Taylor said...

Rick, I thoroughly enjoy your so called political rants! You have a keen sense for what is happening in our government and I believe it is a gift (one of many) that you have that you can communicate this in a way that the average person (like me) can see and understand. Thank you for putting the unvarnished truth out there!