This One Belongs to the Reds!!

'This one belongs to the Reds!' That is announcer Marty Brennaman's signature call after every winning effort by my hometown team, the Cincinnati Reds. Having grown up passionate about baseball and the local club, those words are music to my ears. Mind you, they have not been heard all that often in recent memory--it has been ten years since the last winning season for the Reds and fifteen years since they won their division to go to the post-season playoffs.

So last night when Jay Bruce homered in the bottom of the ninth for a walk-off win to clinch the National League Central Division, the joy from the ballpark along the Ohio river extended all the way to Mooreland Road in Kensington, CT!

It's an amazing thing about a baseball team and a sports fan. So much of my childhood memories are associated with the Reds and baseball--so much of my relationship with my father was built around baseball. So much identity is shaped by these memories. Then there is something about the annual six-month saga of a major league baseball season. The players become like people you know (though, of course, you don't). The sound of the broadcast over the radio becomes a companion for half the year. The daily box scores and stories in the sports section of the paper are soap operas for grown men.

So when Jay Bruce hit that home run last night, I celebrated with my son Mike--who came across the room to high-five me. Then I called Mark, who answered the phone, 'Jay Bruce!' Even Debbie recognized it as a special moment, though she is not the biggest fan of the hometown team. I'm looking forward to calling my mom and dad and celebrating with them--baseball is one of the few topics these days that my dad can stay engaged with in a conversation--dementia is taking its toll.

So--this day, this one belongs to Reds' fans everywhere!

0 comments: