Church

"Here's the church,
and here's the steeple.
Open the doors,
and see all the people."

Idyllic structures housing great ideals--that is what church purports to be. Then the disappointment comes--when the doors are opened and it is revealed that the church is filled with people. Uggh! Less-than-perfect people. Sinners and seekers and sundry non-saints. People with problems; people who create problems; people who are problems.

It all goes back to God's incredibly bold experiment to entrust this venture of the Kingdom of God to ordinary people on an extraordinary mission. Jesus said it was the Father's good pleasure to give the Kingdom to ordinary people. God! What are you thinking?!! The apostle describes the church as Christ's body. Ordinary people have been entrusted to embody the Lord's presence here on earth. God! What are you thinking?!!

Years ago my heart was captivated by this wild experiment called church. I had grown up not liking church so much. Then being a teenager in the late 60's and early 70's I was afflicted with the same anti-institutional affliction that gripped most all my generation. I liked Jesus; not a big fan of the church.

Then God did something crazy. He gave me the opportunity as a very young college student to lead a small-town congregation. God what were you thinking?!! But in that little Presbyterian church in Hemingway, SC something amazing happened. I fell in love with another man's wife. The apostle also refers to the church as the "bride of Christ." What I had formerly disdained began to captivate my heart. Grandmas and little kids; indifferent teens and anxious parents; laborers and salespeople; farmers and school-teachers all in one little congregation. And real community. That is what captivated my heart--a community of very different people seeking to live out life's highest ideals as they cared for one another and sought to serve God in the midst of their issues and brokenness and real problems.

I fell in love and have never gotten over it. Lord, I love your bride! Not just the idea of the church, or the building, or even the ideals of the Kingdom of God. But real live people trying to do what's right and serve their world and follow after your ways. I have been captivated by this notion that the Lord has more faith in us than we ever have in him. It is his good pleasure to entrust the Kingdom to the likes of us--sinners and seekers and sundry non-saints. God, I love the way you think!!!

And I love the particular church called Wellspring. If you open the doors, yes--you will see all the imperfect people. People with problems. But you will also see people climbing out of their problems. People who are helping others with their problems. People who have signed on to tackle some very real problems in their communities and beyond. People who are embodying the Lord's presence in their world.

Wow! What a beautiful bride!!

8 comments:

Kara and Dave Amatore said...

Wow. This blog just totally touched my heart... Thank you Pastor Rick. You are such a man of God, and an amazing teacher. Thank You Lord for Pastor Rick, and for this "particular church", called wellspring!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a pastor! Thank you, Pastor Rick, for accepting us as we are!

Mark G. Hayden said...

"taste and see how good is the Lord..." right at WQellspring!

Mark G. Hayden said...

that's "Wellspring".

Bonnie Licata said...

Pastor Ric, I am so glad that you answered God's call!

Trudy said...

I am sending this blog post to my friend who just went off to college in DC. He came to Wellspring 2 years ago when I was baptized. Pastor Rick, I know that what you have shared is how he felt and what he thought as he looked around. Today it seems we are not only battling the impression of church, we are battling their belief in our Lord's existence! I am sending this right NOW along w/a link to website for a church in his area. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

great post.

Andrew said...

An excellent post.

I don't know if you get updated automatically re: comments to your blog, but if you do, I just wanted to say thank you for your prayer for me and my wife Marlene this weekend. She came back from her own Thanksgiving weekend having thought very deeply about our marriage and taken responsibility for some of her own sins in a way she hadn't before, in a way that gives me hope. God has been at work. Thank you for making Wellspring a home away from home for myself and my children.